It’s been a long while since I’ve dusted off the old iPad for something other than mindless Netlix marathons. Work has been insanity, along with preparing for the holiday’s, and preparing to take some much needed time off. I'm on a flight to LA right now, and with a couple of hours of peace (and wine) to myself, I thought I'd update. :)
I hope that you all had a FABULOUS holiday season, and an even more fabulous new year. IT’S 2016!!!!! With every new year comes a flood of resolutions, as well as a time to reflect on the momentous times in the past year that have helped you grow as a person.
If I had a list of moments or events that occurred in 2015, that have helped shape who I am as a person, they would be as follows:
1. I went on more dates than I have in my 30+ years of life combined.
2. I took a LOT of risks in my love life, work life, and friend life. I did everything for ME, and listened to my gut.
3. I exited the United States for a short time and visited Aruba, and quite a few times when I went to Vancouver, BC.
4. I got to see all 4 of my best friends in the same year! This never happens (one lives in Hawaii, another in Atlanta, and two more in California).
5. I got the most flattering compliment of my career, and I got to go to NYC twice for work, and to Vancouver BC.
6. I gave someone my heart, which in return was given back to me shattered. In hindsight, he was not what I wanted in a man.
7. I let a stranger come visit me from across the country (there’s more to that story haha).
8. I got catfished (don’t worry…I’ll write about how to catch one).
Last year, I did not make any resolutions. I thought (and still think) they are quite silly. I do, however, believe in bettering yourself. Therefore, I’m making a list of what I want to accomplish this year…and if I must say, I think this year is going to be lucky. Historically my odd aged years (I’m 31) were some of the best years of my life. But only time will tell.
Here is what I would like to accomplish in 2016:
1. Leave the country and travel. (I’m already on this one ;) )
2. Get promoted at work.
3. Learn to cook more, and learn to do so more healthily.
4. Volunteer 1-2 times per month.
5. Workout at least 4 days a week, and invest in my body.
6. Try to live more in the moment…especially if that means putting my smart devices away.
7. Forgive people who have hurt me in the past.
8. Write more.
Reflection is really important to me, and who I am as a person. It helps me navigate future situations and helps me support the decisions made from my gut. It also helps me realize to trust myself, and reassures me that I made the best decision for myself at the time. Thus, no regrets. There are few (if any) situations or decisions I would change in my life.
I was a little humored when I visited my hometown in Northern California over Christmas. So many of my relatives, and friends of relatives commented how great my life was. Amazing career, beautiful apartment in a picturesque city, and a super positive outlook on life. What they haven’t seen was the depression I battled, suicidal thoughts I’ve had, the numerous times I’ve had to choke back tears, and just the major feelings of loneliness I’ve felt. My life is far from perfect, but on the surface no one really see’s that. The best quote that I can really relate to is “Be kind, for every person is fighting a battle you know nothing about.” This is why you’ll see my smile to a stranger, even if I feel like my life is falling apart.
I've made a promise to never settle for anything in this life, and as I get older it's been easier to abandon a path (or a friend) if I feel like it doesn't complement my life.
Anyways, cheers to a new year, new goals, and new perspectives! I hope 2016 is amazing for you, as I know it will be for me! :)
Bellisima = "Extremely Beautiful" in Italian, and how i would describe the world, and how I view it through travel.